I absolutely adore cupcakes! Unlike large pieces of cake, they are accessible at anytime of the day. Whether they’re part of a meal or just a snack, they are just easy to eat.
However, the decorating of said cupcakes is extremely tedious.
After about three cupcakes or so, you enter this hypnotic trance-like state of mind where everything is tuned out and you really don’t think about what you are doing, you just kind of do it. Put on some music and rock out to whatever you want and your cupcakes will turn out fine.
Whenever I bake, I make sure I go all out.
I don’t make cupcakes without sprinkles. Ever. Cupcakes without sprinkle is like a dalmatian without its spots. Same with music, you can’t bake without certain tunes. With most of these cupcakes I placed every single sprinkle onto the frosting ever so carefully, the ones near the end were the one I ate first, if you know what I’m saying. The decorations turned out fairly decent, and I am proud to say I made these delicious cupcakes from scratch.
These recipes have definitely made their way up to my top ten desserts, and with the lemon and blueberry accents, it’s a match made in heaven. I recommend this to anyone. I am a huge fan of any desert with lemon anything in, on, or near it. It really is a great recipe to try. Even if you are a beginner, I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off.
Recipe: Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Jam
Summary: A delicious recipe for a lemon flavored white cake.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- one jar blueberry jam of choice
- Garnish: fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the lemon extract & lemon zest.
- Combine cake flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when they spring back to the touch or when an inserted toothpick pulls clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Fill pastry piping bag with blueberry jam, add cone attachment.
- Insert Piping cone into cupcakes and fill with blueberry jam prior to frosting and decorating
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Recipe: Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Summary: A creamy frosting to accent your cakes, or cupcakes.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- optional: food coloring
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in the lemon extract
- Gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar while continuing to blend ingredients
- Store unused portions in the refrigerator for up to one week
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3