Pork Pocket Pies with Kale: A Savory Delight
Experience the savory delight of Pork Pocket Pies with Kale! These delectable handheld pies combine the rich flavor of ground pork with the hearty texture of kale; all encased in flaky pastry. Perfect for a quick snack or a satisfying meal, these pies are sure to become a new favorite in your recipe repertoire.
So, you’ve finally succumbed to the kale craze, huh? That thick, green leafy vegetable that seems to be popping up everywhere from your local farmer’s market to your social media feed. Well, fear not! Kale may have earned its status as a trendy superfood, but it’s also incredibly versatile and delicious, especially when paired with the savory goodness of ground pork in these delightful pocket pies.
Discovering Kale: From Hipster Lettuce to Kitchen Staple
Admit it, at first glance, kale might have seemed like just another fad lettuce. But hold on, it’s actually part of the brassica family, alongside broccoli and Brussels sprouts. So, when faced with a bunch of this leafy green, the kitchen became your playground, and inspiration struck! What better way to utilize kale’s hearty texture and earthy flavor than by incorporating it into savory pocket pies? Thus, the journey from “hipster lettuce” to kitchen staple began.
Crafting the Perfect Filling: Pork, Onions, and Kale
With ground pork thawing and kale ready for action, it was time to concoct the perfect filling. A sizzle of olive oil, a dice of onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper set the stage for the main event. As the onions softened and the pork browned, a symphony of spices joined the fray – sea salt, fresh ground pepper, onion powder, smoked paprika, and a dash of A-1 sauce. Then, in went the kale, adding its unique flavor profile and a dash of color to the mix.
Assembling the Pocket Pies: A Labor of Love
With the filling simmering to perfection, attention turned to the pastry. Rolled out to a delicate thickness, the pastry circles became the canvas for your culinary masterpiece. Each one carefully filled with a generous dollop of savory pork and kale mixture before being crowned with another pastry circle and sealed with the press of a fork. A final brush of egg wash added a golden hue, and a playful X-shaped slit ensured steam could escape during baking.
Golden Brown Perfection
After a brief stint in the oven, the kitchen filled with the irresistible aroma of freshly baked pork pocket pies. Golden brown and bursting with flavor, these savory saucers were ready to steal the show. With each bite, you’ll savor the hearty goodness of the pork, the earthy undertones of kale, and the comforting warmth of homemade pastry. Pork pocket pies with kale – a culinary adventure worth embarking on.
Pork Pocket Pies with Kale
- 2 9" Pie Crusts
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 bunch Kale de-spined and chopped
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Steak Sauce
- 1 tsp Prepared Mustard
- 1 Egg seperated
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium and add diced onion
- Cook until slightly translucent and add ground pork
- Sprinkle with seasonings and saute until slightly browned
- Add chopped kale, broth, steak sauce and mustard allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Add corn starch and simmer for another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Pre-heat the oven to 350f
- Roll out the pie crusts to about 1/4 in thickness
- Cut into circles approx 3 in. We used a drinking glass and ended up with 30.
- Place half of your pastry circles on unprepared baking sheets and top each with about 2 Tbs of filling
- Make an egg was with the white of the egg and dab the edge of each pie before pressing a second crust gently over the filling
- Crimp the edges of each with a fork to help seal
- Beat the egg yolk and lightly brush the top only of each pie and slit or puncture with a fork to allow steak to escape during baking
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving